Saturday 28 April 2012

Cutting into the REAL fabric!!

My dress design has changed somewhat since the last post, but all will be revealed over the next few days!

I ironed my main fabric (ahimsa silk) and my interlinng fabric (hemp silk) and laid them on the floor with the skirt panel pieces (back only so far), making sure the grain was correct - easy on these fabrics because the weave is so pronounced!

I trimmed the excess fabric, pinned and thread traced the pieces so that I could work with a huge seam allowance to allow for alterations later. Thread tracing is clearly something that never happens with ready-to-wear, but it didn't take too long and I know that the interlining is securely in place and I can see the 'pattern' on both sides.

Up close view of the thread tracing (don't forget the pattern markings)!

Here are the back two panels ready for some new layers...

No comments:

Post a Comment